Friday, February 26, 2010

THE WASHER WOMAN'S REVENGE




Apparently in 1907 there was a movie made called "The Washer Woman's Revenge"(dont ask me why or how I know that). It seems like a silly title for a movie or a story line but after six months of doing my laundry in a bucket, I can kind of understand it a little bit.

Today, I bent over my last washing bucket. As I went to hang the last of my laundry I was so overcome and excited by this fact that I dropped one of my shirts off the line (something I haven't done but have always been afraid of doing) thankfully it was caught by the line beneath it and didn't fall to the ground. As I ran down the steps to retrieve it, I began to think of what it would be like to have this part of my life removed.
I never much liked doing laundry. But I have learned to be thankful for 'modern' inventions like the washing machine. Over the last several months I have had a sore back and consistently dirty, semi-smelly clothes. No matter how much I scrubbed, I never could seem to get them clean. This, is the plight of all Kenyan woman as washing is "woman's work" -just ask any Kenyan man. And I think if I had to do my laundry like this for the rest of my life, I just might take revenge too. Luckily for me(and all those I might seek to take revenge on), I have an aunt who loves me and sent me some money so that I could have some of my clothes washed for me over the last month. For this, I am eternally grateful.
Also luckily for me, unlike all those Kenyan's who will continue to wash their clothes by hand, I get to go home in just a few days and once again use a washing machine.

1 comment:

  1. Cutest picture Dre! Can't wait to see you when you come home!

    ReplyDelete