Wednesday, February 24, 2010

SIX MONTHS AGO TODAY

Six months ago today I was sitting on the floor in my parents living room surrounded by bags of clothes, art supplies, toiletries, make-up, books. All things that I thought I needed to get me through the next six months living in Africa. Then, everything seemed so surreal. The thought of using all those things that I had so carefully bagged, labeled, folded and packed in my new life on another continent wasn't quite getting through to my brain. The fact that in another six months I'd be back there again minus all the bags was even harder to imagine.
And yet, six months later, here I am preparing for that journey back. This time on the floor of a small apartment in Kenya. And instead of clothes etc, I have African dolls, earrings, wraps, other things to give away and to keep and the girl that sits on the floor now seems so distant from the one that sat on the floor six months ago.
I can not help but wonder what floor she will be sitting on and what she will be like six months from now.

1 comment:

  1. You can be sitting on my living room floor holding my sweet baby!! I have loved reading your blog! Keep me posted on what's next. I hope to see you soon. Maybe we can have a Denny's date? I love you! Tricia

    ReplyDelete