Thursday, October 8, 2009

Little Boys and Puppy Dog Tales

Their lives are simple, and I'm learning that making them 'better' doesn't necessarily mean giving them more stuff. It is doing my best to make sure that they have everything they need, are given the opportunity to pursue their dreams and simply believing in them. There is a boy in my class, Steven, who is not the easiest child. He has a lot of anger and likes to hit the girls, a behavior that very well may be modeled for him at home. Its frustrating sometimes. It seems like no amount of “we dont hit” really phases him. Today before lunch one of the puppies kept finding his way into our classroom, and I kept picking him up and taking him out again. But he just kept coming back, and he always found his way to Steven. “Teacher” (sounds like teacha) he addressed me, “he keeps coming back!”
“It is because he loves you” I told him. The look he gave me was one of great surprise. “He keeps coming in because he wants to be near you, he loves you.” The smile that broke out on that boys face was dazzling. “yes, he loves me.” He replied thoughtfully, and then “I will take him back out” And this boy, who is sometimes so violent, gingerly scooped up that little puppy and with great care and gentleness carried him outside to the dog house. As we went outside later Steven walked out of the classroom with me, holding my hand. He has never touched me before, or sat next to me, or even really payed much attention to me. And this afternoon, after lunch, I did not tell him “we don't hit” even once.

No comments:

Post a Comment