Thursday, January 7, 2010

Peter

Webster.com gives one of the definitions of the word "cancer" as:
'something evil that spreads destructively'
This may not be a medically sound definition, and it may not be the one you get when you ask someone what it means (after all, it was 4th down on the list), but it is the one that I identify with most at the moment. It is all of those things, it is evil; it is selfish and turns our focus onto it and it alone. It demands our immediate attention and brings us to a place where we neglect other things in our lives. And it does spread, it spreads fear and doubt into our hearts and minds causing us to forget the author of our lives and His infinite love, mercy and grace.
And the thing is, it doesn't have to be in you to spread its destructive evil, it just has to be close to someone who is close to you. A grandmother. A pastor. An 11 year old orphan boy....
Peter Ochieng is an almost 12 year old boy who loves soccer, checkers, his friends and home and has an evil spreading destructively through his brain.
This ordeal has been stressful to say the least but last night, things changed for me. The changes came with a phone call from the director frantically looking for our projects team leader because the doctor at the hospital cant get a hold of him and its urgent and do I know where he is please?
The doctor finally talked to Kieren who talked to me and let me know that the tumor had moved into Peter's brain and he needed to have a 400,000 schilling ($5,000.00)surgery immediately. And like that, with a five minute conversation I found my resolve shattering. I dont know how to handle cancer in a 12 year old boy. I dont know how to think about his brain being invaded by this disease and the danger and risk that comes with brain surgery. I didnt quite know how to talk to God at that moment. And I forgot. I forgot that God loves Peter even more than I do, and that he knows. For a moment I forgot what I've always known and what I base my whole life around.
God is faithful.
And he is there.
Lucky for me, I have people in my life to remind me of these things and to keep me remembering.
The next week or so will be tough. Peter is having surgery tomorrow and will need to stay in the ICU for about a week after that, and then the chemo begins.
Please continue to pray for us. Pray for Peter- he is brave, but he is also scared. And pray for Kieren, he has a lot on his plate right now being the one to take care of all the details. And pray for me. That in my last few weeks here I will be an encouragement. And that I will remember.

If you'd like to know more about who Peter is as a person, his medical condition and how you can help financially please click on the link below and read the two profiles.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. (livea.revolution@yahoo.com)


http://www.box.net/shared/hvhkrjx6hc

My flesh and my heart may fail,
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26

No comments:

Post a Comment