Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Arrival in Kenya

Hello Friends!
just a quick note to let you know that i have arrived safely in Kenya. My flights were long but smooth, my ride remembered me at the airport and the home that i am stayin in is wonderful.
I have running hot water (most of the time) and electricty (everyother day) so things are good!
I live with Alice who is a nurse and gone most of the day and her sister Margaret who just graduated university. they are both quiet and sweet and giggle a lot. During training my roommates are Fernanda who just graduated from high school,is from Mexico City and a constant source of entertainment and Nicole who is a lawyer in L.A. Both girls will be transfered to other sites once training is over and I will get a new roommate. Right now all i know about her is that her name is Sasha and she will be here working in the same orphanage as me for three months. I am thankful to have someone to walk to work with everyday!
Orientation has been busy and full of information. There are about 20 other volunteers starting with me, and I think that after the first day I have made a couple of friends......

KENYAN TID-BITS
* Africa has its own version of American Idol/Big brother mix. its called Tuskers project fame. Tuskers is a brand of beer by the way.
* My new favorite show is a spanish soap opera with english dubs called storm in paradise. Currently, Ima has been arrested for the kidnapping of Nicolas' child. Nicolas is in a coma and I'm pretty sure that its his wife who staged the kidnapping.

Prayer Requests:
*I'm a little bit nervous about the transportation situation, not so much using it as getting lost on it. Please pray that my horrible sense of direction takes a break these next few months and is replaced by a mapquest inside my head.
* The orphanage that I will be at has over 200 children (60 full time), I want to be comfortable enough with them and with my gifts to initiate activities, and outings. Pray for an open mind to the way things are run and the funds that will allow me to bring new things to the program and its charges.

Thats all for now! Please shoot me an email or a facebook message or something and let me know whats going on!

2 comments:

  1. Storm in Paradise sounds like the best show ever! I am so glad you got there safely. I am praying for you everyday. Miss you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings to you girl! Teach them big booty...haha. Can't wait to read about all of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete